About Hornsey Parochial Charities
William Priestly made the first bequest to what are now Hornsey Parochial Charities in 1620 for “the maintenance of eight poor men of the Parish of Hornsey”. In those days the Parish extended over Hornsey, Highgate, Muswell Hill and part of East Finchley. This explains why today six Trustees of the Charity are nominated by Haringey Council and two by Hackney Council. Four Trustees are co-opted and the remaining ex-offico Trustee is the Rector of the Parish of Hornsey. In subsequent years further gifts were made for provision of money, bread, clothing, fuel and education to the poor of the Parish of Hornsey and their children. In 1890 all the earlier Charities were amalgamated to form The Hornsey Parochial Charities. The Charities are now registered with the Charity Commission (registered numbers 229410 and 312810), and consist of two funds, one for those in need and one for education.